Maintaining overall dental health is as important as taking care of the whole body. However, simple brushing and flossing are not enough to achieve the optimum oral health people want and deserve. One must take care of the teeth and the surrounding oral structures such as the gums to have the ideal outcome for a person’s dental health.
If gum health is neglected, it can develop into gum disease. Periodontics helps in the prevention of gum diseases and infection. At South Florida Laser Dentistry, we offer Periodontal Services to help prevent and fight gum disease using the state-of-the-art treatment options.
What to know about Periodontal Disease?
Periodontal disease or commonly called as gum disease is caused when plaque forms in between gums and teeth. When the bacteria from plaques infects the gums, inflammation can occur. If it is not treated and given proper attention, the swelling will spread and cause the supporting oral structures to deteriorate. When the gums recede, it can lead to tooth loss and other dental complications.
Some people do not know that they already have gum disease because it can be painless. With Periodontal service, the dentist can diagnose and perform treatments for the prevention and cure for the arising or existing periodontal disease a patient has.
Factors That Increase the Risk of Gum Disease
- Chewing and smoking tobacco
- Some medications like steroids, oral contraceptives, anti-epilepsy and cancer therapy drugs
- Unfit prostheses such as bridges, crowns, or dentures
- Misaligned or overcrowded teeth that make cleaning harder
- Old Fillings
Who Performs Periodontal treatments?
The dentist who specializes in the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of gum diseases is called a Periodontist. They had excessive training in their field of specialty and an addition of three years beyond their dental school. Periodontists are also trained in performing a cosmetic periodontal procedure.
How are Periodontal Diseases Treated?
It is best to treat periodontal or gum disease as early as possible to prevent it from developing into a severe dental complication. There are several periodontal treatment options available to treat gum disease such as:
- Scaling and Root Planing
- Gum Graft Surgery
- Dental Crown Lengthening
- Pocket Reduction (Gingivectomy or Osseous Surgery)
- Regenerative Procedures
- Sinus Lift
- Ridge Augmentation/ Ridge Preservation / Bone Grafting
Benefits of Having Periodontal Treatment
- Removes bacterial plaque and tartar from the teeth and gum line
- Helps in getting rid of the unsightly yellow stains on the teeth
- Keeps the symptoms under control
- Alleviates irritation and inflammation of the gums
- Prevents existing dental problems into becoming a serious oral health issue.
If you experience early signs of periodontal disease, like your sudden bleeding of gums, bad breath, loss teeth or separate teeth, contact our office at South Florida Laser Dentistry for Periodontal Treatment in Tamarac, FL.